Friday, October 23, 2009

Disney Animation Boot Camp

Not long before March 25, 2002, when Disney announced they were cutting their 2D animation department, they had a 2D Animation Boot Camp for new talent. This is not to be taken lightly. Disney put the recruits up in a dorm in Monterey, CA. They were taught by some of the Disney greats, including Walt Stanchfield. A co-worker of mine was selected to be one of these new talents back in 1997 when he was in college. He shared with me his stories and his official boot camp binder.

Pretty damn cool.

This is a huge binder, loaded with great advice and techniques for beginning animation artists. I can't imagine how cool this might have been to be a part of. This is the same year Disney put out Hercules. This is also 5 years before they gave 2D the axe and 10 years before they resurrected it from the dead again. I don't have the time to scan the whole thing (though I wish I could), but I wanted to at least scan a small sample to share with any of the animation fans out there.



I have no idea if they still do this sort of thing for their new3D animators, but I doubt it.

9 comments:

Renée T. Bouchard said...

That sounds like an incredible workshop to attend. I really admire people who can draw as I am a hopeless case. (Which is unfortunate because being able to sketch would really be beneficial in my job! lol)

http://reneetbouchard.blogspot.com
http://reneetbouchard.com

Art&Love said...

This is one of the first blogs I've felt I should leave a comment on! It's great you share little gems like this with other people. Thank you!

KillerB said...

Oh that's neat. I found your blog through blogs of note (congrats) and really liked this post.

I do publicity for DVDs and I occasionally get to visit the Animation Research Library when various Disney classics are rereleased in Platinum (or now: Diamond) editions. Apparently Disney did a lot of stuff like this for their animators. Very cool.

Steph said...

What a wonderful finding! I love thinking that there is a book like this out there, a book that takes something a lot of non-artists out there think of as magic and makes it so beautifully PRACTICAL -- thanks for sharing it.

passport in my pocket said...

wow - that's so cool! Thanks for posting.

Robert Beames said...

Really interesting.

I hope, now that 2D is coming back, the boot camps will start up again.

Rick said...

Sigh. I love disney. Though it must be hell to work for them.

http://bittersweetsugarandsarcasm.blogspot.com/

chrisrey said...

nice thing you got there
I'm also into to art but can't do things like that

hope you could also visit my blog. thanks and more power

Gabeleonard.com said...

I attended the animation boot camp too. I think I still have my binder somewhere. It was a great experience!