Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Planning, planning!

One thing they drill into your head at AM, is that planning is one of the most important steps when animating. This is quite brilliant and also pretty obvious, but it has made a big difference for me in the final product. When you have a clear picture of where you are going, it makes the process much more enjoyable. You don't second guess every decision you make along the way. I try to plan until I have something on paper that I would like to see, then when I get into the computer I have a bar set to at least what I captured in my drawing, and I don't call it quits until I at least capture what was happening in the drawing. So while I'm animating, I can really focus on the overall performance. That's my goal, at least.

Here are some planning thumbnails of poses expressing: concern, excitement, strength, and a few others. Details aren't important. Gesture, attitude, line of action and silhouette are the focus. Any additional thoughts?